Tuesday 24 July 2007

Sentiero Alpino Calanca - that 4-day ridge hike amost made me go mad

As promised here the details on Sentiero Alpino Calanca, a tough 3- to 4-day mountain hike in the South East of Switzerland. I loved the astonishing view (just click on the album and you'll know what I mean), I enjoyed the unspoilt nature of these mountains but let me tell you, some of the more exposed passages made my knees feel like jelly. One must be mad to build a one-foot wide hiking trail into a 3'000ft vertical wall with no chains or security ropes. Mad, and I almost feaked out. I was seriously considering calling a helicopter to get me out of it. Thanks god, my dear travel companion turned out to be a mountain goat with the talent to calm the atmosphere. Thanks Sue!

Sentiero Alpino Calanca


For all those experienced mountain hikers, who feel capable of some really tricky parts: Trailhead is San Bernardino Moutain Pass (between Belinzona and Chur, Switzerland, easily accessable by public buses). 1st day: San Bernardino - Refugio Pian Gran (self-catering), 2nd day: Pian Gran - Bivak Ganan (self-catering), 3rd day: Ganan - Cabanna Buffalora (catered mountain cottage). Reservations for all 3 locations recommended, more details on: http://www.sentiero-calanca.ch/ (official website of ASAC, the trail management association)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey! Hiam here, just reading your blog while I create my own! I have been giggling away at how your knees turned to jelly during your hike on Sentiero Alpino Calanca! Could you IMAGINE me!!! I would need an airlift. So anyway, check out my blog (totally not used to this blog thing as you will see) www.swirishconnectionpart2.blogspot.com